Friday, June 8, 2012

Canine Cervical Disc Disease


Winston is a dog owned by Sarah W. They both recently moved from California. Winston is a very polite handsome five year old male Jack Russell mix breed weighing about 11 pounds. His main problem was he had occasional pain from time to time in some non specific area without any apparent cause.


Since he was adopted just a few years ago, Sarah didn’t really know just how long this pain has been a problem. Winston knew but he wasn’t saying. Recently, Winston's pain got so bad, he wouldn't let a groomer touch his body.
When an owner describes sudden “yelping”, with no apparent trauma or cause, I start thinking of cervical disc disease. Of course it could have been many other diseases, but after a routine and neurologic (nervous system) examination, I decided to take radiographs of the cervical vertebrae (the neck). The exam revealed that Winston’s head and neck appeared to be tense and stiff, and he tried to avoid lifting his head when I push the head up toward the ceiling. The radiographs confirmed the tentative diagnosis of cervical disc disease.

Winston's x-ray showed calcification between
two vertebrae and a narrow intervertebral space.
Cervical (neck) lesions account for
approximately one fifth of all
intervertebral disc problems. Most
patients experience neck pain as the
first and most consistent clinical sign.
"Yelping" or screaming often accompanies
this pain. This occurs when there is a
moderate disc rupture. The head and neck
are held in a tense position with the
patient reluctant to elevate the head
and neck.

Intervertebral disc disease is the most common neurologic syndrome seen in dogs. Disc degeneration has been reported in 84 breeds with particular susceptibility in certain small breeds. These breeds (Dachshund, Pekinese, Poodle, Beagle, etc.) have characteristic skeletal changes that predispose the discs to degenerate at a very early age.
Intervertebral discs act as cushions between the vertebrae and function as the shock absorbers of the spine. A normal disc has two regions: a resilient gelatinous nucleus (center) and an outer fibrous ring that encircles the nucleus (see Fig.1). A degenerative disc loses its resiliency when its jelly-like center calcifies and develops a gritty, hardened consistency. No longer able to cushion the vertebrae, the center is predisposed to bulging and to rupture (see Fig. 1), resulting in pressure on the spinal cord, pain, and sometimes paralysis.
Figure 1

Diagnosis

A diagnosis of intervertebral disc disease is made based on the history
and neurologic examination. Radiographs (x-rays) can reveal the presence
of degenerative, calcified discs and may outline narrowed disc spaces with
evidence of rupture and calcified disc material in the spinal cord. A
definitive diagnosis may require a myelogram (a contrast dye study of
the spine) to confirm and document not only the location of the ruptured
disc but also the amount of spinal cord swelling. The myelogram is a
common and safe diagnostic procedure when performed with care and
under proper conditions.


Because cervical discs by nature rupture slowly, the symptoms may come and go for some time. Early or mild cases are often treated medically. These medical treatments, which often include corticosteroids to relieve the cord swelling and pain caused by intense inflammation, become unrewarding as more disc material pushes against the spinal cord.
The treatment of choice to reverse the symptoms and return the patient to a normal pain free life is surgical removal of the ruptured portion of the disc from its compressive position under the spinal cord.
Treatment
After radiographs and possibly a myelogram confirm the involved
intervertebral site, a surgical decompression technique (a ventral
cervical slotting procedure) is performed from an incision under the
neck to remove all of the ruptured disc material. The architecture of
the disc space is maintained to allow for a normal recovery. This is
exactly what we performed on Winston.
Sarah W with Winston - "going home".
The remaining discs in the area undergo fenestration, a procedure which involves
removal of the degenerative center of the
other discs in the neck. This procedure
includes up to five intervertebral discs and involves cutting a window in the outer
fibrous rim of the discs followed by
extraction of the calcified, degenerative
centers. This prevents recurrence of any
disc rupture, while allowing normal motion
and pain free movement following surgery.
As the resected center of the disc scars,
there is little or no effect on mobility.

Winston was operated on for cervical
disc disease using the ventral cervical
slotting procedure. The following day he allowed our groomer, Donna to handle him. He was groomed without any pain or objection.  That made Sarah very happy and Winston had an uneventful, painless recovery.


The Providence Veterinary Hospital Blog is a publication of Peter Herman, VMD, at the Providence Veterinary Hospital, 2400 Providence Ave. in Chester, PA. Contact Dr. Herman at 610-872-4000 or visit us at http://www.providencevet.com
 

4 comments:

  1. This is Thor God of Thunder's exact surgical story. He had a myelogram and a ventral slot, we also made appts with our vet and had 6 K-Laser treatments done.

    Thor feels so much better, had I known that his pain would elevate so hard and so fast, I would have had the procedure done the week prior to his first signs. But you never really know.

    I'm starting a pet a fund for my buddies. Then I'll have piece of mind knowing I can afford a $1400 myelogram. Knowing exactly what we were dealing with would have given Thor faster relief vs. waiting to see if a conventional approach would be effective.

    I feel bad that my little Thor went through so much pain, he didn't even want to be touched but he hurt so bad, he just looked at me. Thor's eyes asked me for help, and he told me how sad he was.

    I am so thankful for the advanced medical team's help!

    From Cincinnati, Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Thor is doing well to this day :-D

    I sewed two Id's onto his harness, 1 has his name and phone # and the other one says he's had neck surgery. With his Cervical IDD he never wears a collar, 1 pull could severally hurt him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everyone, i'm Linda Harry from United State i was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease  for over 6 years which made me loose my job and my relationship with my Fiance after he discovered that i was having Parkinson, he departed from me, and i tried all my best to make him stays, but he neglected me until a friend of mine  from UK told me Great healer, who will restore my life back with his powerful healing herbal medicine. then he  sent me his email address to contact him- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and i quickly contacted him, and he said my condition can be solved, that he will treat the disease immediately only if i can accept trust on him and accept his terms and condition, i Agreed because i was so much in need of help by all means, so i did all he instructed me to do. And surprisingly after two weeks, He sent me a text, that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly did, i confirm from my doctor that i am now ( PARKINSON NEGATIVE) my eyes filled with tears and joy, crying heavily because truly the disease deprived me of many things from my life, This is a Miracle, dr imoloa also uses his powerful herbal medicine to cure the following diseases:  lupus disease,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,   back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,   Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,   Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,     Cystic Fibrosis,   Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease,  impotence,  feta alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, bone cancer, lung cancer. contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and also on whatssap- +2347081986098

    ReplyDelete
  4. My symptoms started at the age of 47. My fingers on my left hand were stiff and were difficult to move. People noticed that my walk was not normal. I was often asked did I hurt.I noticed nothing different about my walk. It was difficult getting up from a chair and getting out of a car. I was diagnosed a year later, it was the onset of tremors starting in my right hand that caused my other symptoms to be recognized as Parkinson's.I am now 59. With the new herbal medicine i purchase from totalcureherbalfoundation.blogspot.com was my only way to get fast relief from this PD,their herbal supplement effectively reverse my Parkinson's disease condition and alleviate all my symptoms. 

    ReplyDelete