Dividing allergies into two categories is helpful. Just keep in mind, when you see
- Those caused by fleas and other biting insects (flea allergy dermatitis)
- Those caused by inhaled allergens such as dust mites, grasses, molds, and tree and weed pollens (canine atopy)
- Those caused and by foods and drugs (food allergies)
- Those caused by irritants that have direct contact with the skin (contact allergies)
- Allergies caused by airborne particles are called atopy. Common sources are pollens, molds, and dust mites.
- Allergies that result from flea-bites are referred to as flea allergy dermatitis.
- Certain allergies occur from items your pet ingests, and are typically called food allergies.
- Contact allergies are caused by something your pet comes in direct contact with, such as carpet fibers, plastics, and other things. Contact allergies are far less common than atopy and flea allergy dermatitis in pets.